In my previous company, I’ve been a SCRUM master (in addition to my main job: project manager) for more than 2 years and as you know, we always learn from our own errors and success. That’s why I started to list of few thoughts and things that I’d like to avoid in similar situation/role:
- Setup tools as soon as possible early in the project in order to automatize a lot of development process. The more you do before starting, the better it will be.
- Force your team to have some pause during your sprint in order to cool down on stuff that are important to team eyes (update continuous environment, upgrade a library, research, etc.).
- Team must justify the need of this time and not only in front of SCRUM master but also to product owner and even beyond to stakeholders.
- When working with a deported team, meet as soon as possible the team in order to give them a perfect vision of the project and share PO & SCRUM Master charisma.
- Give visibility with transparency to stakeholders on a sprint or release basis by giving:
- Budget status
- Global vision of the project (no features! Otherwise it’s taken as granted) usually give business value
- Milestone /sprints
- Backlog priorities
- Challenge stories without bringing your knowledge but by confronting the stories from previous sprints
- Get a commitment from the team
- Resolve impediments as soon as possible
- Anticipate backup plans (ex: someone working on another story) at the same time
- Give as much as possible visibility to all the team on the upcoming sprints
- Give time to SCRUM team for reading/studying PO stories
- If building an online application, have at least 1 x UI/UX designer in the team
- Don’t rush on cutting edge technology or if it’s required, team needs training on those new technologies or simply change the whole team
So far this is what I’ve encountered along my experience and personal suggestion. I can possibly update the list in the future.
If you’d like me to develop a specific topic enunciated above, please shoot a comment and I will do my best to have a post on it.
Meets.io is a native SDK for iOS and Android, designed to ease communication between mobile apps and Magento stores.
Markdown is really a powerful way to create documents and maintain them in a pretty way. There is no changes in the way you write from a site to another, there is no mistake done on the rendering of your pages and most of all, it’s simple to learn!
- MarkdownPad (Windows) is a full-featured Markdown editor for Windows. There is a free and a paid version. The free version for me is way enough, but when looking to the paid services it tempting to buy the pro version.
- Mou (Mac) is way simpler and cleaner (normal you would say “Apple style”). It does the job with no additional flavor feature included.
Both do the job and I personally use both: MarkdownPad for professional usage and Mou for personal usage.
Do you know any other Markdown apps or even offline webapps to work with Markdown documents?
The buzzing world around meme gif are going crazy and creativity provided by users are also pretty impressive. One of my friend recently launched a great website for sharing and creating memes based on existing gif that could be easily found on the internet.
In france we have a few famous websites that is getting more and more welknown by geeks and nerds called les joies du code who provide daily fun sentences attached to gifs.
In a different maner, Memegif let you take back those existing memes and suggest new sentences to match those gifs.
Currently, it’s only in French but I know it will be released soon in English and with couples of new features.
Go submit your meme gif on memegif.com and share it with your friends.
This is often omitted by project managers but before launching the website live on the Internet, you must check that all your links from your domain point to a specific location that is reachable and (if possible) has value for your content.
- to make a consistent website as hyperlinks is basis of website creation.
- have a better SEO. It will ensure a coherence for search engine spiders.
- to not frustrate your visitor. (You know what I’m talking about)
As a consolation, if you still can’t fully be sure of your links, at least try to make as much as possible the most explainable 404 page.
To perform a full check of your links the best tool from my POV is Xenu Link Sleuth. Simple to use and easy to make reports.
Once your report build up, fix all misleading paged linked or give it away to your developers with the expected result.
I’m curious, do you have better techniques to achieve this task ?
Digging the abyss
As usual, digging on the web bring me on an interesting project called justifyx. This small java application let you do a simple thing:
Download any SpotifyURI link you want in 320kbps OGG format!
How to download playlist/album/song or whatever SpotifyURI?
Simply download the last version of Justifyx: https://code.google.com/p/justifyx/downloads/list
And use it as follow:
java -jar justifyx.jar user password SpotifyURI format command
ogg_96: Ogg Vorbis @ 96kbps
ogg_160: Ogg Vorbis @ 160kbps
ogg_320: Ogg Vorbis @ 320kbps
mp3_320: MP3 @ 320kbps
download: downloads track/list/album
download number: downloads an album starting on the specified track number
cover: downloads album cover
Read everything and everyday or you're out!?!?
I know I’ve made several articles on this subject but it’s something that is really important for me. Newsfeed reader give you technical strength and make yourself like a software that is up-to-date!
I’ve just done a new website for one of my personal client as an auto-entrepreneur. NLC78 is an association-profit organization that offers language courses and personalized support for everyone ! From the youngest to seniors. They also offer education support for disabled people. It was really interesting working for them and see how motivated is the team behind the scene. The particularity of this website was the fact it was totally localized to a specific area of France (Yvelines).
More to come about this website as it will be internationalized.
I’m pretty proud about this website as it’s my first one as an auto-entrepreneur. Thanks to my client who trust me all along the project !
Finally, this project will be added to my portfolio in a few weeks.
I’ve found a job beginning of November in the gaming industry which I thought never ended in such an industry.
When recruiter asked me about what video games I was playing on my PS3, I’ve answered only games that weren’t from the company I was trying to join.
Long story short, now I’m more an project & account manager than a lead web project manager. Higher vision of all big projects going on within the company.